Saturday, June 11, 2011

Food Update

Here is a long awaited (or not) food update over the last close to a month.  As you can see there might not be all that many pictures... maybe i am just slowing down with photographing food or possibly due to the fact that I often end up eating the same stuff.

Lets start with one of my favourite pictures... this was a soba dish at our school cafeteria:


This is a (quite fuzzy) picture of a nice pork katsu dish at the local katsu place near my apartment:

   I walked around on the weekend and noticed they had a sign outside with a lunch menu - so I got one of the sets (B i think):

 One weekend morning, I made some crepes at home since I didn't have anything to eat for breakfast...

 Crepe frying...

 Already fried crepes:

 Breakfast:

  A Starbucks moment - the green stuff is green tea latte:

 Some curry at school cafeteria:

 Came with some naan:

 And a little salad:

 Tasty spicy Chinese food at a Chinese restaurant near my apartment:

 And of course, some nice Chinese beer:

 This was a super spicy dish at that Chinese restaurant... a little bit too spicy for me:

 A set at a tiny local restaurant a few streets away from my apartment - this was a fried shrimp meal with a small udon:

 School cafeteria set - some fried chicken with fries:

 Sauce katsu at school cafeteria:

 Some vegeterian curry:

 A strangely shaped chicken katsu set at school:

 A yakisoba set at school for dinner:

 Another curry set with naan:

 A (not spicy) red ramen at school:

 Some chicken katsu set at school:

 A tasty black bean sauce dish at Chinese restaurant near campus:

 This time with Japanese beer:

 With some intestines and stuff:

 And some famous Chinese dessert (zong zi) which is eaten around the period of the 5th day of the 5th month of the Chinese calendar to celebrate a famous Chinese poet of long ago.  They were very tasty... sticky rice with a date filling:

 Some chicken dish at school:

 A donut from Mr. Donut.  When buying the donut, the girl asked me if I wanted a plastic bag since it is raining.... which I didn't fully understand.. so eventually she said bag in English.  So I said yes to that and then said "It's raining" in English.. to which she smiled and said "wooah... arigatou gozaimasu"... which is a very strange reply to that so I am assuming that she misunderstood that I said something in Japanese (probably told her she looks pretty or something along those lines judging from the reaction - oh languages!).  But, nevertheless, it is now a donut picture with a story :).

 A fish and some random stuff at school (I am a bit bored of the food at this one place we always go to):

 I was at one school cafeteria and asked the nice girl who works there (who likes to speak English with me) what she would recommend and she made this cold noodle and pork dish which was really tasty!  After eating, I even took a picture of her... to capture her totally smiling eyes :).

One day, I went with some friends to a maid cafe which in case you don't know is a Japanese themed restaurant where the waitresses wear special clothing (usually some kind of old European maid outfit) and are really nice to their customers.  I wanted to try it since I often seen it mentioned in various blogs of people visiting Japan as a thing to try.  The experience was interesting but at the same time... with a strong fake feeling.  You could just sense the kind of uneasy forced behaviour of the staff.  The highlight was when we ordered these omelets on rice..   that the waitress would use a ketchup bottle and draw something on the omelet (based on your request).  So I requested a bear and got this.  It was pretty cute... at the bottom it says くま (kuma = bear) and a heart:

Finally, here is a picture I took near a Starbucks by Hisaya-odori.  Not all that related to this food post (I didn't even order anything at this Starbucks just was in the building).  
"wanna meet for coffee..."

No comments:

Post a Comment