Sunday, October 24, 2010

Monitor and Speakers

I'm slowly working towards getting myself a computer.  So far, I got two things: monitor and speakers.  It is ok since they nicely connect to my laptop :P.

Monitor: Mitsubishi Diamondcrysta RDT232WX-S

This screen is amazing!  It is an IPS screen (for those of you that don't know, it's a better screen than the normal TN screen that is found in most LCD monitors).  The viewing angle is amazing (basically, the image looks roughly the same looking from above, below and to the sides).  The colours are also much better since the IPS screens support many more colours than the TN screens.  Normally, IPS screens are bought by professional design artists that need to reproduce colours perfectly on their screens.  In Canada, the choice of those screens is rather slim and they are quite expensive.  I found this screen at a very reasonable price and I just couldn't resist!  It is also the glossy variety so it looks amazing!  The resolution is 1920x1080 (i.e. full HD) and a response time of 3.8ms.  The box weighed a bit over 7kg so I just carried it home by subway.  I bought it at a large store (Japanese chain but only one store in Nagoya) called Tsukumo.

 (holy cables on that pic!)

Speakers:  ONKYO GX-70HD(B)

So I finally did get the speakers!  They were for a good price at this smaller computer shop.  The box weighted about 5kg but the shop keeper spent a lot of effort in order to add a handle to the box so that I can carry it easily.  He did an amazing job:



The speakers are a bit on the large size but they are made out of wood and sound very nice!  I was surprised to find that the connection between the right speaker (which has the amplifier and the input/controls) and the left speaker is through a normal 2 channel cable like for home speakers!





I organized my desk a bit and this is how it looks like for the monitor and speaker setup:


For those interested, the image on the screen is a paused music video called "Go Away" by a Korean group called "2NE1" in full 1080. :)  It looks and sounds great!

While I was at OSU (the place with most of the computer stores in town) some of them were selling ONKYO sound cards with actual large tube capacitors on them.  In one they also had a demo of stuff playing off one of those cards onto an ONKYO speaker system.  There were also several stores that sold sound equipment also stuff using vacuum tubes and old style but unbeatable technologies.  I went into one of them and some of the stuff was really expensive!


No comments:

Post a Comment