Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bike Ride to Nagoya Port

Today I decided to take a bike ride to Nagoya port to relax a bit.  Here is the map:

I started off by buying a bento along the way then biked to find a place to eat it.  I was biking along the railroad tracks.  These trees are blooming all over town now:
 This is a nice use for the space under the rail tracks:
 And some interesting Japanese graffiti:
 I finally made it to Tsuruma Park and ate my bento on this stone fence:
 Right there between my bike and my drink:
 Tsuruma Park is very big:
 There were plenty of people walking around the park:
 A rose garden in the park:
 From the park, I continued until I cam by this river:
 Then continued along it:
 Some flowers I found along the way:
 A bend in the river - two trains were passing each other on the bridge:
 I went under this bridge which as you can see had a clearance of 1.6m.  I am almost 1.8m standing so on my bike I really had to bow down in order to clear the bridge.  I wonder how many people (not realizing the height of their car) try to go under that bridge?!
 A willow tree.  Along the canal were many small vegetable gardens.  I even saw people come to pick some stuff up.
 This was interesting... and old rusted crane building fully overgrown with flowering plants:
 Some nice park and old tower on the other side:
 This river was now a large canal with many boats.
 And boat buildings:
 These flowers are all over town and also here:
 Big canal:
 Looking back on the canal from the bridge I used to cross:
 Some old style boats:
 I finally made it to Nagoya Port.  By the fountain were these amazing flowering trees:
 Smelling nicely:
 There was a stage set up and lots of people watching performances.  These were girls dancing to some Arabic music:
 There were also food stalls:
 Some samurai-like mascot:
 I spent a few minutes at the end of the port area near the Aquarium.  This was the view:
 Saw these geese flying:
 Another (this time Japanese) performance:
 After that, I headed back home.  This was some nice new structure that looked like a shrine in construction:
 At some place along the way, I stopped in this small park and sat on a bench overlooking the river.   There was a large black bird on the fence:
 Tree and canal:
 Closeup:
 A pigeon came (well... 2 came and this male was obviously courting but she flew away):
 Here is where I was sitting:
 Continuing on... I found this nice looking building:
 That is the important Atsuta Shrine - surrounded by lots of trees:
 In this park, I found this interesting wall/fountain and a very interesting statue:
 Behind Tsuruma Park, there was a large hill with a road almost completely around it.
 Very interesting since I circled the whole hill on it:

And finally made it home, about 30kms and 3.5 hours later.  Good ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment