Saturday, December 18, 2010

Nagoyan Winter and Old Ladies

So, it's the middle of December and the temperatures are still around 12C during the day and around 5C at night.  Many trees already lost their leaves but some still remain!  Here is a nice example of a nicely coloured tree on campus:
 There are a bunch of interesting trees planted in a row basically in front of the building where I have my Japanese classes.  They have almost needle like leaves that are falling down now making the ground very nice looking.
 The nice golden ginko tree is now completely naked.
 The trees along the large park on campus are still quite green.
 Nicely coloured tree on campus:
There are also some flowers still flowering in bushes in the campus park.
For Hello Kitty fans, there is a large multi part display in Central Park underground shopping mall in downtown Sakae featuring various regions of the country and special hello kitty phone straps for each region.
Sunset as seen from my office.
 Sakae now seems to have a lot of Christmas decorations.


 Yesterday, I went for a walk around the campus - to areas that I haven't been to yet.  Found a nice shrine with the red tora gates right next to the campus.
 In the man made lake on campus, there do seem to be quite big fish!
 The neighbourhood to the east of the campus has quite a number of hills.
 This is an apartment that was for rent on google maps - but the location isn't all that convenient.
 Not sure what this is...
 A bit dark, but the tree was left when building the sidewalk.
Today, I went to Ikeshita - an area around a subway station where I want to look for an apartment.  Along the way, I found some nice flowering trees and a garden with vegetables.

 A nice flower shop...
 A nice path...
An interesting event happened on my journey.  I found this small store with veggies and other stuff on a side road in Ikeshita.  I went in and bought some fruit.  But when I went in, one old lady - one of the customers - kept looking at me!  So when I paid... the cashier handed me some sweet buns from that lady and the lady said "presento".  Hmm... I don't usually get presents from old ladies... so this was kinda strange... so I thanked her a few times and left.  Felt kinda bad since maybe she wanted to talk to me but I run away so quickly... well... maybe it's a good sign to move to the neighbourhood?
hmm tasty buns... if only she was like 50 years younger... ;P

No comments:

Post a Comment