Friday, December 31, 2010

Tasty Food Update

As you might have noticed, the number of food pictures has decreased recently.  Mostly due to the fact that there is a limited number of choices at the school cafeterias so things do repeat and I don't take multiple pictures of the same dish (at least not knowingly).  So here are some cafeteria choices:

A balanced lunch:
 Tasty fish set meal:
 Some teriyaki chicken don with pastry:
 Some misterious katsu (probably chicken - I don't remember):
 Tasty udon with meat and egg drop soup:
 One day I went to the nearby mall's ramen shop and had this.  The guy stated that it is very hot and asked if I'm okey with that - daijoubu!  It was spicy but quite delicious.
 At a small (maybe seats 12) restaurant near school, I had this shrimp tempura dish on rice.  Was pretty good.  It looked like this restaurant specialized in tempura.  I went there with a lab member who usually eats at school cafeterias but they were already closed for the winter break so we went there.

So, I managed to get sick right for New Years... I'll write another post about that, but while staying at home not going out, I run out of food.  Buono! came to my rescue and I remembered the Pizza-La chain of pizza delivery restaurants.  I registered on the website and managed to place an order for a medium pizza of some kind.  About 50min later, the pizza guy called since he couldn't find the place (no surprise, he wasn't the first one).  Luckily he was young and still remembered some English from school and we were able to successfully communicate ;P.  The pizza finally arrived at my door!  The box:
 The pizza looked and tasted quite good.  One thing I gotta say, this medium was advertised for 2-3 people (small was 1-2 people).  Well... the size was more like the Canadian small... and I ate the whole thing in one sitting.  Granted, I was quite hungry and sick..so... but I did really enjoy it - will definitely order from there again in time of need!  The delivery people drive these mopeds with the log on them.
 Thank you Airi, Momoko, and Miyabi!
 Also got a calendar fridge magnet with coupons!  Finally something to put on my fridge!  I just noticed that my fridge is called "it's" :P.
 After coming back from the doctor on New Years Eve, I went to the nearby store and bought a bunch of food for lunch/dinner.  There were tons of people at the store buying things.  New Years is the most important holiday here so quite a busy time.
 These were little fish - how little... well look at the fork.  Although I can't say that I like the taste.  The fish are ok but they taste kinda like licorice...
 No idea what this is..but it looked cute and was actually pretty ok to eat.  Looks like seaweed bundles.
 This was surprising... it was in the same section as the above and the fish but is actually sweet and makes a good dessert.  Some beans of some kind.
 I also bought a small package of dried persimmon since they are already out of season.
 Now of course you can't forget the mochi during the New Year.  It is the rabbit on the moon making it during this time - this being the year of the rabbit... very important ;P.  Rabbit... give me some good luck in the New Year ok?

While talking about rabbits, moon, and mochi, can't help but remember poor Mashimaro explaining how it works to the monkeys.  If any of you remember the bunny with a plunger stuck to his head sitting on a toilet that I had hanging off my car window - well... this is where it is from.

No comments:

Post a Comment