Sunday, February 20, 2011

Long Bicycle Trip to Kanayama

Yesterday, I went for a long bicycle trip in town.  Basically, in the morning I biked around 10km to pick up some stuff from somebody for the new apartment.  Along the way, there was a nice Japanese style building - I don't know what it is.  Side view:

 Front view?
Another nice building:

  Took a picture of this building since it was a sweats shop and was near my future apartment!  Must go in at some point in time:


Then in the afternoon, I went again to see a few used furniture stores.  I was meeting somebody in Kanayama to go for sushi in the evening.

Here is the map of the way to Kanayama (km markers in circles):
Roughly 16km to get to Kanayama viewing a few used furniture stores along the way.

Here is an example of a used furniture store.  Most of the stuff is really poor condition but some things are not too bad.  The prices are a bit hight for some things like fridges and washing machines.
 Here is another store.  As you can see these stores are very tiny.  Inside is a huge mess of tightly packed stuff.
Found some rose bushes around some electric box on the sidewalk:
  People started to plant flowers since spring is coming.  I saw several old people plantings things in front of their houses/businesses.
 This is a large liquor store - has a nice selection of foreign wine and beer:
 So, this is a Lexus dealership - and I thought Lexus only existed for the North American market.  Well... I'm proven wrong:
 From another side - large building.
This is the north Imaike intersection - you can see my new apartment building in the distance (hehe so I should be able to see this spot from my windows!):
 From the other street, we see an Imaike subway entrance (#12) and further up is the south big intersection:
 Then I biked through Sakurayama (さくらやま - as written in the picture).  I found the sakura bunny to be very cute so I had to take a picture!  Sakurayama is another major center situated around a subway station of that name.
 Found a river canal - one of the 3 main ones through the city:
 Now, this (I assume apartment) building is huge!
 The other side of the river:
  I finally made it to Kanayama around 5:30pm.  Kanayama is a large train station where 3 train networks meet: the JR Central line (Japan railways), Meitetsu line (Nagoya railway), and the subway.  Here  you can see some of the tracks:
 Already started to get dark - nice lights everywhere.  Kanayama is quite a large center with lots of big buildings and restaurants.
 A large street going through Kanayama:

 A train came:
I didn't take any pictures of the sushi place but it was a pretty tasty belt sushi chain restaurant called sushiroo (スシロー).  Although we waited about 1hr in line to get in!

I left Kanayama around 9pm and got home near 10pm.  Here is the map of the way I took home - right along a railway for a while:
So, all in all, I biked around 40kms that day and my butt started to hurt from too much sitting on the bike!

A bit off-topic but tree pruning has started it seems.  On campus, they pruned these big bushy trees to look like this.  I don't know how often they do that but looks scary:

 Also, going somewhere I managed to find a Toys'R'Us store!

No comments:

Post a Comment