Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Food Update

Time for another (exciting?!) food update post over the last 2 weeks.

OK,  this will be slow since blogger currently has a bug that prevents adding multiple pictures to the blog - so basically it's one by one.

First off, school cafeteria food.
Starting off with some selection of random things that were pretty tasty:
Some fried chicken:
Smaller fried chicken don:
The south cafeteria has a cute sakura display with a bunny:
Can't go wrong with power don (it is different for spring - addition are those small green veggies hehe):
Tasty soba:
This wasn't at school cafeteria but one at some shopping mall - look at the fpoon:
Chicken katsu and curry:
Tasty fish with some nice looking veggies:
Another cafeteria also has a sakura display:
... with a graduation theme:
The soup wasn't all that tasty but the dipping sauce made up for it:
Mackerel with some random veggies:

Next up some restaurant foods.
One of my favourites - spicy ramen at a Chinese restaurant near campus (and fried rice):
Some tasty beef at a Chinese restaurant:
Some so-so tasting noodle at some mall restaurant in the north of Nagoya:
Some seafood and veggie dish at this other Chinese restaurant near campus:
I liked the plate:
Udon at the udon place in Nagoya Dome Aeon mall:
This was interesting... mapo tofu ramen:
Some meat and lots of veggies set at a Chinese restaurant near campus:
Here is that super tasty spicy ramen as a lunch set:
I went to this belt sushi place near my new apartment - was a bit expensive and they didn't clearly show the prices of the plates so I was a little disappointed but these clams were tasty:
The shrimp pizza sushi:
Some thick slice of fish:
Ramen with large chunks of meat:
A bibimbap at a Korean food court place at Nagoya Dome Aeon mall (after mixing):
Some tasty polish soup at a polish gathering:
Tried this beef and mushroom don at this restaurant in the Nagoya Dome mall:
Some Chinese dish at yet another Chinese restaurant near campus (there are basically 4 on the outskirts):
Another dish at the same place:
Sushi at this new sushi place really far away that I found while biking - it was already getting dark so I decided to eat.  Waited about 45minutes to sit but these pickled fish were awesome!:
Squid - quite tasty, not too chewey:
Nice fishie:
Little octopuses (octopi?):
A bento from school konbini:
A tasty set meal at this Japanese restaurant near campus:

Okie, next some random food things.
I finally tried Mister Donut - a donut chain.  It looks just like north american donut chain stores.  I bought a cruller since it looked just like the ones at Timmies.  Verdict: not even close - quite disappointing actually hehe.
Who can resist a bear donut?  That was a bit better tasting:
Some pudding thingie with strawberry mousse top:
I finally decided to buy one of those flat cookies I saw being made at a small shop in the Sakae underground mall (plus some coffee I got on the subway station):
The cookie was delicious - tasted like pancake filled with some stuff:
Another donut - this one was better tasting since it was green tea but still so-so compared to Timmies:
While visiting OSU, I always try to visit the fish pastry store!  This time, they have a sakura mochi special:
It was tasty!!!:
You may ask... what is better than green tea ice cream?...
well... green tea pudding of course!!

Finally, some home cooking.
I really like my new kitchen at the new apartment!  Lots of room, tons of storage space, a huge sink, and a gas stove.  So to celebrate my new kitchen, I made some crepes one morning!  Finally got to use my new (well 5 months old but never used) frying pan that didn't work on my previous stove.  The crepe cooking was amazingly fast and crepes were delicious!  Hehe, the one at the bottom is a bit misshaped (was the last one!):
On the weekend, I finally decided to buy a rice cooker.  And to celebrate, I cooked a whole dinner!  So, first, I went to this nearby small store that was selling food items and bought some mushrooms, garlic, eggplant, and some small green peppers.  Then, I went to a grocery store nearby (for the first time) and bought some nice meat, butter, and mirin.  The mirin is just lovely!!!  I had to taste some and it was delicious!
Meat was shortly marinated in soya sauce, mirin, and garlic:
Then fried:
The mushrooms (shiitake) were fried with some butter.  The rest of the veggies were fried with an addition of some soya sauce and rice vinegar.  Everything was really tasty!!  The rice cooker makes nice rice - it has lots of functions but one easy to use button for immediate making.  Also a timer that I just set up for morning rice! Of course such a nice meal deserved some nice beer:

No comments:

Post a Comment