Saturday, March 19, 2011

Weekend Bike Ride (Yamazakigawa) - March 12

On March 12, I went for a bike ride to checkout a river (Yamazakigawa - 山崎川) that is supposed to be a nice sakura viewing spot.  This was a day after the large earthquake so I was a bit worried about the tsunami but the river looked pretty ok.  Here is the map (interactive form):
The trip started near lunch time and I was hungry so for the first time, I went to BENTOMAN which is a chain of bento making take out restaurants.  I saw it a few times biking by it - it is a few streets from my apartment.  I selected something totally random from the menu and then waiting a few minutes while they were making it.  While I waited, one guy picked up about 20 bentos!
  I took the box and biked a little bit until I found a nice park with a large fountain:
 So I parked my bike and sat on this bench and ate my lunch:
  Which turned out to be this (plus a box of rice about half of the size of this box).   The fried things turned out to be clams but they were tasty:
The start of the river wasn't very far away (start since before it goes underground) and on the way I found a nice temple with a torii and a nice island:
 The river was tiny but in a huge and deep canal:
 So no worries about tsunami.
 This type of canal continued for a while...
 After which it became a bit bigger and more of a river:
I finally started to notice the trees (which are supposed to be sakura) all along the canal:
 Of course none of them had flowers yet (maybe in 2 weeks):
 Some of the trees were quite old:
Whenever there was deeper water in the river, there were large carp (koi):
 A nice ume tree in front of a house:
 Found a large deeper part of the river with lots of the fish:
 And turtles:
 There was an observation kinda of area above with a bench so I think people feed them.
 I think the water in the river must change from time to time (maybe even due to tides):
 Turtles sun bathing:
 A closeup:
 All along the river are sakura trees - will look awesome when they bloom:
 and the other side:
 At some point was a nice path along the river with sakura trees above:
 Lots of trees (supposed to be around 700):
 Found a golden koi in the river:
 Map showing the river and recreational park:
 By the park was this sign on a rock:
 Finally made it all the way to Aratamabashi - seen here:
 The river did increase in size around that area:
 I found a large AEON mall near the river so I went in.
 After a bunch of walking around in the mall, I bought a tasty bean paste on mochi:
 I didn't go any further along the river and went back towards home following a large highway:
 This is how highways merge:
 At one street, from the distance, I noticed large white flowers on a tree so I went closer to investigate:
 Turned out to be Magnolia flowering:
Then, I went home, biking around 22km in total.  On the way home, I stopped at a supermarket and bought some fish for dinner.  I didn't know what kind of fish it was but it was a bit cheap and looked good:
 I also bought some cabbage, leak, mushrooms and onions:
 Plus, some miso paste in which I marinated the fish for a bit.  Then I fried it. Also fried the veggies:
The fish turned out to be quite tasty just like tuna.  It was Opah (or red moonfish) which is a huge flat looking fish in the pacific.

No comments:

Post a Comment