Friday, March 11, 2011

Walk through Higashiyama Park

About 2 weeks ago (yes.. a little backed up...) I went looking for some furniture stores.  So I decided to go from University to one place which brought me through Higashiyama Park.  This park is pretty big and it houses the Nagoya Zoo and Botanical Gardens.  I haven't been to either yet!

I took the subway to Hoshigaoka station where I went to see this K's Denki electrical store.  Then I walked through Higashiyama park going to a used furniture store and then walked back to university.  Here is the map (also in interactive form):

Near the Hoshigaoka station - look at the brown building in the distance.  It's shape is a bit strange - but you see it often in Japan.  Basically, people want lots of light so quite often buildings are shaped so that sun exposure is good.
You know when the zoo is near when there is an elephant and an insect on a sign:
The park is on top of a hill:
Here you can see the observation tower in the park:
Entrance to the zoo/tower:
I walked along this nice path in the forest:
A rose:
There is the tower behind the trees:
Bamboo:
Found some bird:
Bamboo trees:
Nice large plant on the path:
An interesting coloured tree:
Part of the zoo:
Nice vines on trees:
Entrance to the botanical gardens:
Map of the park:
I found a nice path up a hill with all these signs in front... I can7t really read those.. but I figured it is ok to go up...
The view from the top was very nice... of the west side of the city (outskirts basically):

Ahh.. first flowers of spring:
A nice sign... higashiyama 10,000 step course?
View coming down the path:
Nice roofs on houses:
A bamboo forest:
The houses past the park were really nice.  They had a different (quiet) feel to them with gardens and orchards:
Orange trees:
A nice blooming ume tree and a tree with tiny oranges in front of a house:
A bird:
Some ume blooms:
I walked along this nice road:
Another orange tree:
More ume:
A river:
You can see another example of tapered buildings here:
A nice ume tree in full blood:
All in all, the trip wasn't very fruitful in terms of furniture finding but it was quite enjoyable albeit a bit long at over 8km walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment