Saturday, September 25, 2010

Farmers market, bike exploration, funny fish, and lots of GETS


Today was a Saturday so I felt like some relaxing was needed.  First, I wanted to go to this farmer's market that is happening every Saturday morning in the OASIS21 building in Sakae (i.e., downtown).  I thought that I will buy some nice fruit or interesting veggies.  In the subway I found an advertisement for a tube hotel (where you sleep in a small tube) for around $30-40 a night.


The farmer's market was quite a disappointment.  There were maybe 20 different small tables set up with some random assortment of goods - none of which beeing fruit and didn't look all that interesting.  The only thing I wouldn't mind getting is some rice somebody was selling, but I already have a bag at home.

 

The only exciting thing was the little stage play going on in the middle of the venue with a crowd of parents with young children in the audience.  I immediately recognized this big fluffy dog which I see often in this kids TV program in the mornings where little kids jumps around it and fall down and such.  They had signs up not to take pics so I didn't.  I found a Tomica shop in the square:


After that I came out of the underground mall dungeon to go rent a few things from Tsutaya.


I found an Outback Steakhouse - pretty funny!


The results of the renting: a Eurobeat CD from Ayumi Hamasaki and a Studio Gibli anime Ponyo.  I was worried about the anime but I knew that I would be able to find english subtitles somewhere online.  However, the DVD has an english subtitle track - yay!


It was after noon and I was hungry so I set out to find someplace to eat.  I walked around the underground shopping area taking a few pictures.



As you can see, there are tons of pple around there during the weekend.


The whole place is pretty complicated and long - luckily there are maps all over.  However, they often reverse or change the direction of North just for kicks, throwing you completely off ;P.


I settled for some sushi from a conveyer belt sushi place in OASIS21.  It was pretty good.  I had to wait about 10mins in line.  There was something wrong with the guy next to me - he kept ordering calling out orders all the time and had like 10 plates next to him.  I only amassed 5 plates :P.  There seems to be an interesting tea dispensing system at these conveyer belt sushi places (at least the 2 I've been to).  You grab a cup (from a conveyer under the sushi conveyer - you also get the soya sauce dish from there) and then you open a container of powdered tea (matcha) and add some to the cup.  Then there is a pipe every few seats that dispenses hot water to complete making the tea.  Before I could figure it out, I was just drinking the water - but observing others helps :P.


You can see the cup conveyer belt under the sushi belt in this picture.  In the middle they had a large fish tank with some live fish swimming in there - I guess you can order them for some really fresh fish??


After eating, I went home to rest for a little bit.  Then I headed out for a bike trip with no real goal.  I went into the NW direction first.  Found a nice temple with a cemetery in the back of it:



Behind the temple was a river or canal or something.  While biking on the bridge, I took some pics of the area.


 There was even a person fishing :).




You can see some mountains in the background.  North of Nagoya start some mountains chains.  A few hundred kilometers to the North are the Japanese Alps - including the town of Nagano where the winter olympics took place.


A Japanese military plane flew by.  The red circle (rising sun) is clearly visible - kinda reminds you of the planes from WWII.




I made it to the other side of the bridge then I turned around.


While I was riding, I remembered this supermarket (daiei) I once visited near that area and they had nice coin wallets for decent prices.  So I rode there.  I managed to get a lot of stuff at that store.  The prices seem cheaper than the supermarket closest to me (JUSCO).  So I bought a leather coin wallet for around $18.  It is quite nice since it has lots of coin room and a place for keys.  Now I can keep my coins organized and not scratching my phone!


For luck, I first inserted a 5yen coin into it.  From wikipedia: "The Japanese for "five yen," go en (五円) is a homophone with go-en (御縁), "en" being a word for fate or destiny, and "go" being a respectful prefix. As a result, five-yen coins are commonly given as donations at Shinto shrines, and is widely believed it is best to insert a single five-yen coin into a new wallet before inserting any other money."


I also bought a bunch of kitchen/cooking stuff that I found out I needed last time I cooked.  First, was a nice frying pan cuz the one I have in the apartment has seen better days.  Then a spatula and some cooking chopsticks to stir stuff while frying/cooking.


Also got some hooks to keep spoons and such hanging in the kitchen.  There is so little room that it is necessary.  And a strainer thingie for easily cleaning stuff.


I didn't feel like cooking but I stopped at the grocery part of the supermarket and got a few things for dinner.  There is so much choice in terms of ready made stuff to eat!


And in a nicer presentation.  The fish was some kinda fish (silver croaker after some long searching) seasoned with salt and fried.  It had some bones but it was tasty!  The black stuff is a hijiki salad a kind of seaweed/vegetable that is commonly eaten in Japan.  And the green beans are edamame.


And some tasty gyoza


And of course a meal like that would not be well without some


For dessert, I got some grapes that were a little bit cheaper than I've seen them at JUSCO.  They are very tasty though!


But probably the highlight of the trip was the Mook I bought at the bookstore!  Mook is a Japanese contraction of two english words: Magazine and bOOK.   I'll give you a hint: starts with an A and ends with an 8 :P.

Overall, the bike trip was roughly 9.5km.  I'm evaluating these two iPhone apps that keep track of trips (e.g., walking/biking/running) using the GPS: iMapMyRIDE and Walk Watch.  Neither of them is very stable but when they work, they are pretty nice!

And, thanks Google for including an option to import images from web albums!  No more copy & paste of image URLs.

2 comments:

  1. you bought a mook! for a second I thought you got yourself a red-shirt. slang is so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the farmer's market was a bust. I guess random sites I found on google were not as accurate as I'd hoped. :-D

    Ponyo on the other hand is a sure bet. (Provided you're ok with stories about fish and islands)

    ReplyDelete