Sunday, September 12, 2010

Relaxing on Sunday

Today was a Sunday so I took the time mostly relaxing.  I spent a few hours writing the blog posts!!

In the Morning (well around 10:30am) I decided to go for coffee.  I heard that one of the specialties in Nagoya are coffee shops that serve free food in the morning with your coffee.  So I went to this place near me called Komeda's Coffee.  I got seated at a communal like table (the place was full) and ordered a hot coffee.  The waitress asked me if I wanted a morning bread (I actually understood that since morning was basically in Japanized english (モーニング-mooningu) and I know the word for bread is pan).  Then I guess she asked me if I wanted butter or jam which I didn't quite understand but butter it was.  So basically, untill 11am, if you order a drink such as coffee, you get a toast with butter or jam and a boiled egg for free! They have an ad for this on their website (for morning service i.e. "mooningu saabisu" - モーニングサービス) that looks hilariously similar to my picture (minus the little bite i took before realizing I should take a picture)!  Cost of coffee - 380yen so around $4.70.
Some pictures of the neighbourhood around the coffee shop - some are repeats!
I took the subway quite a bit far to find this church with english mass at 1pm.  It turned out that it is only on 1st sunday of the month!
So, I took the train back to around downtown area (near Sakae) to the church that I went to last Sunday since it had a mass at 3pm.  I had some time to kill so I walked through a part of the Central Park:
Then I went underground to the Central Park mall and other adjacent underground malls.  I didn't have too much time to walk around so I didn't get through all that area.
Near OASIS21, I did manage to find a Pokemon Center Nagoya which was pretty interesting.  Each of the more famous Pokemon had their own displays and I guess you can buy the figures and other merchandise.  Lots of kids in that store!
In the adjacent NHK building (NHK i.e. Japan Broadcasting Corporation) I found a very impressive sushi display in front of a sushi restaurant:
I found a sign for a fishing store when walking around!
A temple in between some tall buildings:
The altar of the Mikokoro church:
In the evening, I went to the big supermarket near my place and bought some things including a cool 70cm umbrella!  Slightly big but better big than wet!  A very nice umbrella for around $25.
I also bought some ingredients to make miso soup - will have to try that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment