Sunday, September 12, 2010

The old and high life (part 2)



Now I've decided to walk from Nagoya castle to the Nagoya train station.  It probably was around a 3km walk and it was probably around 36C (yes, I like torturing myself).
Can almost taste it...
Pretty much all the highways are up in the air over other streets.  When they cross, it gets pretty complicated!
Here we can see the tallest building in Nagoya on the right side (Midland Square).  I'll be coming to it real soon!  The building in the middle seems like it's crooked!  I'm not sure if it was built that way or whether it is the outer part that spirals around the building that is crooked but it looks pretty interesting.
Getting closer!
The twin towers of the Nagoya train station from the side.  On the right are the train tracks overpassing the streets.
Here is on the opposite side of the train tracks:
The automatic parking garages are everywhere!  You basically drive your car in and a machine places it somewhere in a (usually thin tall) building.  When you come back for it, they get it down for you.
I got lucky this day since I finally found the Hello!Project museum/store and it was actually open!  Quite interesting but also quite disappointing.  I thought that they sold CDs and other merchandise but it looked like it was only photo cards.  Walls and walls of photocards with people writing down their numbers on little order forms.  On display in the window was a replicate of S/mileage clothing for one of the singles (hmmm I really hope it isn't actually their costumes that they wore!).  Advertisement for Reina's cat burglar anime is on the door.
Some temple on the way:
I managed to spot a shinkansen (the 300km/h fast train that runs throughout Japan) leaving the station.  You can see it's characteristic long nose:
Inside the station, there are two clocks that serve as typical meeting places for people.
For dinner, I had a miso katsu (basically a pork cutlet in miso sauce).  It is one of the specialties of Nagoya.  Also had 2 shrimp.
The spiral air venting system in front of the station:
From there, I decided to go to the observation deck on top of the largest skyscraper in Nagoya - Midland Square. This building has the highest open air observation deck in Japan (roughly at 240m).  The elevators are so fast, it takes around 40s to get to the 42nd floor.  From there, you need to take escalator or smaller elevator to the observation deck at 44/46 floors.  The view from the elevator was very cool (at the beginning) but I started to get dizzy towards the end.
 And I'm at the top.  Pretty scary!  The first thing that came to my mind is what if an earthquake happens now! Anyways, here is the top of that spiral looking tower in previous pictures.  You can also see the railroad tracks leaving Nagoya station.
A view up towards the sky.  The white area - that's completely open.
It wasn't a very good day for long distance visibility but you can see some hills in the distance.  
You can see the Nagoya castle in this picture (yes, I walked all the way from there!)
Other talls buildings are so small in comparison!
There are many roof top restaurants around this area:
View of the twin towers of the Nagoya train station - there is a nice restaurant on the top floor of the right tower:
I decided to wait around for dark so I had coffee at the restaurant on the observation deck.  This is the view I had from my seat :P
About 30mins later, it was dark.
The city looks quite nice in the dark!
I walked from the Nagoya train station to Sakae - quite a bit of a walk.  First I followed some nicely dressed girls but then they turned out to go to a club or something.  Basically everybody seemed to get off from the train station and go to restaurants/clubs/shops.  In a few hundred meters from a subway station, nobody was around anymore.
The wheel at Sunshine Sakae was nicely lit:
The Nagoya TV Tower looks very nice when lit at night.
I found OASIS21.  I managed to walk around it for a bit.
Pretty empty - in about 20 days, there is some huge fair happening here - it's advertised all around the trains.
On the roof of the spaceship looking building is (as you might have guessed!) water and some strange ladybug painted like stones or something.  Pretty cool.
Hmm... a robot clock??
Well, that's it - was quite a number of pictures!

1 comment:

  1. I cannot get over the fact, that fuits are so expensive!!! Good thing that bread is goood!!

    ReplyDelete