Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Progressing...

I'm slowly progressing in settling in.  I got my bank account set up today which is good since I will be able to get paid in a few week (yes, paperwork).  Also tried to join the National Health Insurance but that is a bit tricky and also takes some time (lots of waiting and paperwork).  I needed to get my inkan stamp - here is the stamp in a nice box.  It turned out quite nice - I can't show it to you since it's like showing my signature.
I also looked around for a bike at this large supermarket by my place.  It seems like they are selling normal city bikes for around $170.  The bikes have a basket in front so it will be nice to bring groceries home - now I have to carry everything.  I might get one tomorrow - just have to find out what information they need at the store.  It also might be worthwhile visiting a used bike shop.  Nagoya is large but quite a lot of it can be done by bike - at least for the local ward.  Everybody uses bikes here from little kids to grandmas riding bikes holding an umbrella.
I walked a bit today - probably around 5km.  Which I really shouldn't have done since I wasn't wearing very good walking shoes and now have blisters and it hurts when I walk :(.  Here are some random pictures on the road in my ward - Higashi.
Nagoya City Performing Arts Center:
The shop where I got the inkan stamp made - it only took 1 day and cost around $40.  It is hand carved from wood.
The Catholic Cathedral in Nagoya:
Some nice temples are pretty much everywhere:
Sometimes in front of a shop, you see a large collection of potted plants that are quite nicely maintained by the shopkeepers.
A small cold coffee can from vending machine:
It looks like all power in Japan is above ground - there are power cables everywhere.  Sometimes when they connect to an apartment building, it's a huge tangled mess!
I found a Denny's!
One of the several Railroad lines in the city:
Another very impressing temple:
And another...
At the mall next to where I live, there is a large pet center with like 20 tiny minature dogs on display every time I pass by.  Also has a "pet paradise" section.
Some Ramen for dinner:
In front of the conveyer belt sushi place, there is an impressive selection of plastic sushi:
A flower shop in the mall:
Fall fashion display.  Seems like everything is in Fall mood - lots of advertising randomly using the word "Autumn".
I found a Sanrio store! Hello Kitty! :P
The clothing prices at this large supermarket (kinda akin to a large Walmart with a huge food store) are insanely cheap.  Maybe they are trying to sell out the summer clothes, but you can buy a pair of shorts for about $7 in many different colours:
A pair of nice Khaki-type pants for around $10:
I tried a few shirts and it's pretty sad... The largest size they had was LLL and it just just fits me a little tighly and there was a very limited selection of that size.  Next time I got there, I need to bring my measurements in cms so that I can buy things like socks :P.  But the prices are quite good.

1 comment:

  1. did you buy the bike?

    love the fall fashion display... i want a few of those things already ;-)

    i was going to ask you if you saw a hello kitty store... and there it is :)

    no pikacho store?

    khaki for just $10??? wowwwwww...

    ReplyDelete